What is scrabble?
Scrabble is a word game in which two to four players score points by forming words from individual letter tiles on a game board marked with a 15×15 grid. Each tile bears a letter, which has a point value assigned to it.
The point value of each letter is based on the letter’s frequency of use in standard English; commonly used letters such as “E” and “A” have a lower point value than less commonly used letters like “Q” and “Z.” Players take turns forming words on the board, and score points based on the letter values and the placement of the word on the board.
The game ends when all letters have been drawn and one player has used all their tiles or when no more plays are possible. At the conclusion of the game, the player with the top score wins.
Scrabble rules for dummies
- Each player draws seven letter tiles at the start of the game.
- Players take turns forming words on the board using their tiles.
- Words must be formed left to right or top to bottom and must connect to existing words on the board.
- Players score points for each letter in their word based on the letter’s point value and any premium squares on the board.
- If a player uses all seven of their tiles in one turn, they receive a bonus score.
- If a player cannot form a word on their turn, they must exchange one or more of their tiles for new ones or skip their turn.
- The game ends when all letters have been drawn and one player has used all their tiles, or when no more plays are possible.
- At game’s finish, the winner is the one who has collected the most score.
How many players are needed to play scrabble?
Scrabble can be played with two, three, or four players. The game is typically played with two players, but the rules and gameplay are the same regardless of the number of players. Each player takes turns forming words on the board using their tiles, and the player with the highest score at the end of the game wins.
Some words for scrabble lovers
|Q words||qi, qat, qaid, qintar, qindar|
|U words||ut, um, up, us, uta, ute|
|V words||vex, vug, van, vat, vie, voe|
|W words||wad, win, wit, wop, wry, wed|
|X words||xi, ax, ex, ox, vex, mix|
|Y words||yak, yam, yin, yap, yip, yob|
|Z words||zap, zig, zax, zit, zoo, zep|
Words for kids
|Starting letter||Words for kids|
|Q words||queen, quick, quiet, quilt|
|U words||up, use, under, uncle, up|
|V words||van, violet, vine, very, vet|
|W words||water, wig, window, wagon, walk|
|X words||x-ray, box, fox, six, fix|
|Y words||yellow, yes, yet, yacht, yummy|
|Z words||zoo, zebra, zero, zigzag, zip|
Other famous word games
- Boggle: A game in which players have to find as many words as possible within a grid of letters in a fixed amount of time.
- Bananagrams: A fast-paced game in which players race to create a grid of words using letter tiles.
- Hangman: A classic game in which one player thinks of a word and the other player tries to guess the word by guessing individual letters.
- Crosswords: A word puzzle in which words are arranged in a grid, and clues are given to help players fill in the correct words.